UNIVERSITY OF PUERTO RICO
COLLE OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF GRADUATE STUDIES
MASTER’S PROGRAM IN THE TEACHING OF ENGLISH
AS A SECOND LANGUAG
The philosophy of the Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language is in harmony with the goals established by the College of Education and aligned with those specified in the bylaws of the University of Puerto Rico.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language is committed to the improvement of education in Puerto Rico. It enables professionals to contribute to the continual development of an educational system which meets the communicative needs of the contemporary world. This is attained through the efficient leadership and service of these professionals. The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language envisions education as complex. The improvement of social, cultural, political, ethic, and aesthetic dimensions present in society are the Program’s major pursuit. It considers its position within the Caribbean and Latin context, as well as in the international community.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language is designed to develop professionals in all aspects related to this area. These professionals will be able to integrate and apply their competence in teaching English as a Second Language both in Puerto Rico and abroad.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language foresees the students in a continuous search for truth, contributing to the advancement of science and creative competitive knowledge. The students will exhibit an inquiring and critical attitude proper of the educational endeavor. The Graduate Program in English as a Second Language fosters a continuous and interactive learning process, and the promotion of collaborative learning and teaching strategies.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language looks forward to develop educators who are generous, active, and aware of our modern and constantly changing society. It will enable educators to ponder about their personal goals and values within a democratic society, their rights, and the responsibilities which result from the diversity, dignity, solidarity, and human liberty that it provides. All the undertakings of the Program are geared to help students develop their social consciousness and awareness. This will prepare students to change themselves and their society according to a standard based on better human relations within a democratic framework.
The goals and competencies of the Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language are directed toward the overall development of the individual. These goals are to be met within the framework of social globalization. The constructivist and creative discussion characteristic of a society with a democratic philosophy will be the basis and starting point of formative principles.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language envisions the advancement of professionals who are able to respond to the academic and technological challenges of the world at large. It also stresses the development of creative and critical thinkers, decision makers, and communicators of the English language who are proficient in the skills of information of the 21st century.
The mission of the Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language is to offer the necessary provisions for the preparation of professionals who can create and change educational practices based on research, and through the acceptance of diversity, and the use of technological advancements. These professionals will also undertake leadership roles on the basis of originality, disclosure of knowledge, and community action.
The goals and competencies of The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language are geared toward the holistic development of individuals. These goals will be achieved within a global social framework and from a constructivist perspective and within the creative discussion that characterizes a democratic society.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language has formulated the following goals, to:
- Prepare professionals who can integrate and apply their knowledge to the design, teaching, and evaluation of a program of study of English as a Second Language.
- Develop the desire in these professionals to search for innovative alternatives to the demands presented by a dynamic and changing society for the teaching and learning of English as a Second Language.
- Facilitate experiences that stimulate the development of goals common to the components of curricular development and evaluation related to the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Provide these professionals with a theoretical background, solid practice, and adequate mastery of research skills, and knowledge in curriculum and teaching in the area of English as a Second Language.
- Stimulate an interest in research in the field of Teaching English as a Second Language, and as a result, become researchers of remarkable investigations and projects in the area.
- Develop the capacity to critically analyze problems, focus, and modern techniques present in the area of the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Develop the necessary skills that will permit these professionals to present alternatives for problems related to the Teaching of English as a Second Language that will have a significant impact on both the Puerto Rican society and the global society of the 21st century.
- Develop effective communicative skills in order to improve their performance as professionals.
- Improve the quality of the educational experience from the scientific, individual, and social perspectives of the professional through the development of their creativity and individualism.
10. Stimulate in these educators a positive attitude toward learning as a continuous process, and the development and improvement of their professional and personal well-being.
The Graduate Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language seeks to accomplish the following objectives, to:
- Create a positive environment in which the professionals in the Teaching of English as a Second Language will teach, evaluate, revise, and enhance the program of study.
- Develop a high level of excellence and competence in the area of the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Master the content areas in the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Establish strategies and plans that will motivate the professionals in the Teaching of English as a Second Language to engage in a continuous review and research of pertinent literature in the area.
- Develop in the professionals in the Teaching of English as a Second language the capacity to integrate in a creative and innovative manner the acquired knowledge in their specialization with other related disciplines.
Specific Objectives (Competencies)
Upon completion of the Program, the graduates will have developed the following competencies:
- An in-depth knowledge of the principles related to the teaching of English as a Second Language and the ability to apply these principles to their teaching.
- Ability to effectively integrate and apply to the teaching-learning process knowledge in both the content and professional components.
- Skills in identifying, researching, and offering alternatives to educational problems in the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English.
- A humanistic stance in accordance with those of the society at large, the University of Puerto Rico, the College of Education, and the Department of Graduate Studies.
- Ability to apply knowledge in the areas of social and educational psychology to the teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Ability to examine the concept of second language acquisition from the perspective of the linguist, the sociologist, the psychologist, and the educator with the purpose of finding solutions to the problems faced by second language learners.
- A knowledge and understanding of what oral communication is and the skills necessary to teach it to students of English as a Second Language.
- A knowledge and understanding of what reading is, and the skills necessary to teach it to students of English as a Second Language, simultaneously developing in these students an interest and appreciation of what reading and literature in the English language are all about.
10. An adequate knowledge of what the teaching of writing is and of the methodology related to the teaching of writing in English.
11. Ability to analyze effective strategies to guide diverse groups towards the achievement of the objectives of the organization: students, parents, teachers, school councils, and community, as it pertains to the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
12. Ability to describe, compare, design, and use language assessment instruments for second language classroom based evaluation.
13. Ability to promote the technological development of the learners of English as a Second Language.
14. Ability to identify, adapt, apply, and create instructional designs, activities, and resources pertinent to the present social circumstances and contemporary education.
15. Ability to examine the nature of scientific research and its application to the process of educational research.
16. Ability to conceptualize a study in the area of the Teaching of English as a Second Language including the corresponding components of research.
17. Ability to apply statistical procedures and tools to educational research.
18. Ability to use diverse methods to teach English as a Second Language based on principles, and varied resources appropriate for the different methods studied.
As a result of the Program in the Teaching of English as a Second Language, graduates will:
- Examine, implement, and evaluate the process of Teaching English as a Second language.
- Analyze English as a Second Language programs of study and present the outcomes of the analysis.
- Use a variety of strategies, methods, techniques, and approaches in the Teaching of English as a Second Language.
- Communicate and disseminate the importance of learning English as a Second Language.
- Study and use the phonology, grammar, and literature of English speaking countries as well as the various methods to teach them.
- Do research in the field of English as a Second Language, linguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, and neurolinguistics.
- Use the latest technological innovations to enhance the teaching-learning process of English as a Second Language.
- Teach linguistically and culturally diverse students.
- Participate in the search for creative and responsible alternatives to improve the Teaching of English as Second Language.